Restricted building work explained…

What is and isn't restricted building work, and why you must use licensed people for some residential building projects?

‘Restricted building work’ is work that’s critical to make a home structurally sound and weathertight. You must use Licensed Building Practitioners (LBPs) to design and carry out this work. LBPs must do or supervise this work (CE Construction is an LBP).

LBPs are registered,  required to keep their skills and knowledge up to date and are licensed for the type of work they do.

The licence classes include:

  • Design
  • Carpentry
  • Roofing
  • Brick and blocklaying
  • External plastering
  • Foundations
  • Site

Your choice of designer, builder or tradesperson is important as not all building practitioners are licensed.

The rules about restricted building work are part of the council’s role in consenting and inspecting building work. This protects you and future owners by creating a record of who did what on your home and how it meets the Building Code.

Restricted building work is residential design, construction or alteration work that:

  • Requires a building consent
  • and involves or affects a home’s:
    – primary structure
    – weathertightness
    – certain fire safety design.

Generally, you’ll need to use LBPs for bigger, or more complex jobs.

Check if you need consents here

Get a free quote